The Chemistry Learning Center, as part of the University of Wisconsin–Madison, occupies ancestral Ho-Chunk land, a place their nation has called Teejop (day-JOPE) since time immemorial. In an 1832 treaty, the Ho-Chunk were forced to cede this territory. Decades of ethnic cleansing followed when both the federal and state government repeatedly, but unsuccessfully, sought to forcibly remove the Ho-Chunk from Wisconsin. Our Center recognizes and honors the Native People’s resilience and tenacity over the last one and a half centuries.
This history of colonization informs our shared future of collaboration and innovation and our work at the Chemistry Learning Center. Today, the staff at the Chemistry Learning Center at UW–Madison respects the inherent sovereignty of the Ho-Chunk Nation, along with the eleven other First Nations of Wisconsin.
[Adapted from “Our Shared Future” plaque]