Trans Awareness Week: November 13-19, 2022!
(Block quote from GLAAD (The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) at https://www.glaad.org/transweek)
“The week before Transgender Day of Remembrance on November 20, people and organizations around the country participate in Transgender Awareness Week to help raise the visibility of transgender people and address issues members of the community face.
What is Transgender Awareness Week?
Transgender Awareness Week is a week when transgender people and their allies take action to bring attention to the community by educating the public about who transgender people are, sharing stories and experiences, and advancing advocacy around the issues of prejudice, discrimination, and violence that affect the transgender community.
What is Transgender Day of Remembrance?
Transgender Day of Remembrance (TDOR) was founded by transgender advocate Gwendolyn Ann Smith as a vigil to honor her memory of Rita Hester, a transgender woman who was killed in 1998. The vigil commemorated all the transgender people lost to violence that year and began an important memorial that has become the annual Transgender Day of Remembrance.
Participate in TDOR by attending or organizing a vigil on November 20 to honor all those whose lives were lost to anti-transgender violence that year. Vigils are typically hosted by local transgender advocates or LGBTQ organizations, and held at community centers, parks, places of worship and other venues. The vigil often involves reading a list of the names of those who died that year.”
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
A Proclamation on Transgender Day Of Visibility!
A Proclamation on Transgender Day Of Visibility
(Block quote from President Joseph R. Biden Jr., The White House, March 30, 2022)
“To everyone celebrating Transgender Day of Visibility, I want you to know that your President sees you. The First Lady, the Vice President, the Second Gentleman, and my entire Administration see you for who you are — made in the image of God and deserving of dignity, respect, and support [emphasis added]. On this day and every day, we recognize the resilience, strength, and joy of transgender, nonbinary, and gender nonconforming people. We celebrate the activism and determination that have fueled the fight for transgender equality. We acknowledge the adversity and discrimination that the transgender community continues to face across our Nation and around the world.
Visibility matters, and so many transgender, nonbinary, and gender nonconforming Americans are thriving. Like never before, they are sharing their stories in books and magazines; breaking glass ceilings of representation on television and movie screens; enlisting — once again — to serve proudly and openly in our military; getting elected and making policy at every level of government; and running businesses, curing diseases, and serving our communities in countless other ways.”
Trans Awareness Week Events (2022)!
Trans Awareness Week Events (2022)!
Events in Madison
- Trans Monologues and Talent Showcase; co-hosted by Gender and Sexuality Campus Center and the Madison Public Library; Friday, November 18, 5:45-6:30pm: Reception, 6:30-8:00pm: Performances; Madison Public Library, Central Library, 201 W Mifflin St., Madison
- Transgender Day of Remembrance Vigil; hosted by the Mad City Sisters; Friday, November 18, 8:00pm; Intersection of Mifflin and Carroll Streets in Madison, Madison
More Information and Resources!
More Information and Resources
- Transgender Awareness Month, “Perceptions about Trans people has been created by a century’s worth of media which overwhelmingly misrepresented & mischaracterized them“; November 2022; by Brody Levesque; published at the Los Angeles Blade; published November 1, 2022
- Transgender Wisconsinites Fight for Awareness, Safety; by Murv Seymour of Here and Now; January 7, 2022; PBS Wisconsin
- A Proclamation International Transgender Day of Visibility (pdf); March 31, 2022; Governor Tony Evers
- Trans Action Kit for K-12 Education; GLSEN Org