The Chemistry Learning Center is committed to creating an environment where every member of our community is valued, feels a sense of belonging, and has the opportunity to succeed. Our Center will embrace diversity and foster an inclusive environment so that all of our community members feel welcomed, respected, and appreciated and can reach their full potential.
The mission of the Chemistry Learning Center is to provide a welcoming, safe, and respectful learning community, facilitate small learning groups, assist students with chemistry content, and improve students’ learning skills so they can become successful independent learners. The CLC has a long history of approaching students holistically, engaging them on a variety of levels, and developing a strong rapport.
The Center works with students enrolled in the Center for Academic Excellence (CAE), Center for Educational Opportunities (CeO), PEOPLE, Posse, and First Wave programs. Our program also tries to support first-generation low-income students, underrepresented students of color, students at-risk of failing the course or on academic probation, students re-taking the course after failing it, McBurney Center students, students returning to school after a long absence, Mercile J. Lee Scholars, recently returning military veterans leaving full-time active duty, and first-semester transfer students. These are guidelines and each student is considered on a case-by-case basis taking into account available program space.
- The Center commits to creating a safe environment free of microaggressions, harassment, and biases for all community members. We acknowledge the current and past harms, social injustices, exclusionary practices, trauma, and microaggressions that exist in our society. We take seriously these injustices felt by minoritized communities and will be diligent to do our part to rectify them.
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion are foundational for our Center. Our goal is for all community members to feel encouraged and supported to do their best work by creating an environment where each individual’s uniqueness is valued and respected. Having a diverse and inclusive environment is foundational for individuals to thrive and achieve excellence.
- To succeed as a community, a shared responsibility is required. Each community member is responsible for helping to create a safe, civil, respectful, and more inclusive environment.
- We celebrate the whole individual. We will strive to create a supportive and dynamic environment along with the space for personal needs of the individual to self-care, self-assess, and participate in personal growth. We encourage their creativity, community service, spiritual identity, and social relationships that characterizes the wholeness of the person.
- Diversity is dynamic. As we identify ourselves in different ways and with a deeper understanding, how diversity is defined will change. We use diversity here in the broadest sense to include but not limited to one’s ethnicity; race; color; culture; age; socioeconomic class or background; religion or spiritual beliefs; national or geographic origin; citizenship, visa, or immigration status; DREAMers; language ability; marital and parental status; sexuality including sex, gender, and sexual orientation, identity, or expression; apparent and non-apparent disabilities; veteran or military status; political or intellectual perspective; height or weight; or protected genetic information.
- We recognize diversity to mean a wide range of individuals with a multitude of personal experiences and backgrounds. Equity refers to the fair treatment and achieving equal opportunity for everyone to contribute from a climate built on respect and dignity without fear of prejudice or intimidation through appreciation of differences in individual needs. Inclusion is the active efforts to have each individual feel included, valued, with a sense of belonging.